Minutes of Meeting

Coppell Historical Society

August 26, 2009


At McDonald’s, Denton Tap Rd., Coppell


Members present:  Barbara Lee, Barbara Webster, Pete Wilson, Pat Quinlan, Kevin Mote, Don Carter, Jean Murph, Dave Murph


The meeting was called to order by President Barbara Lee at 7:11 p.m.


The minutes of the last meeting were approved. Moved by Jean Murph,  seconded by Barbara Webster.


The treasurer’s report by Dave Murph was accepted.  Moved by Don Carter, seconded by Pat Quinlan.  The report showed expenses of $2096.18 and income of $20.00.  The balance is $52,979.50.


Pat Quinlan’s report on the Kirkland house indicated no activity since our last meeting.  It is possible that the delay is caused by our requesting that Bill Peck do more supervising of the work and he is not available to do so at present.  Also, the Ballards, the contractors, are on another job and are not available to do the work now.  Despite promises to give us weekly updates by email, we have not received them lately.  Barbara Lee had been assured by Mindi Hurley that major work could be done in a three week period, such as installation of the air conditioning and fitting of doors, but this has not been done.


Pat Quinlan will email Mindi to find out if the wallpaper has been ordered as requested some time ago.


Barbara Lee and Jean Murph will draft a letter expressing our concern over the delay and requesting a timeline for work to begin again.


The Minyard store will be restocked and prepared for opening when the weather gets cooler.  It is ready now, except for that work.


Pete Wilson reported that the Old Red Courthouse Museum in Dallas will be contacting us to put up a display, but not anytime soon.  We should have plenty of advance notice.  The exhibit will have to be rather elaborate, and there is a possibility that we could ask the city to help fund the exhibition.


Barbara Lee reported that we have been told that the Society may put up a historical display in the new Senior Citizen/Community Center when it is completed.  Completion date has been put off continually and no one is certain about the finish date.  Dave Murph will chair a committee with Barbara Webster and Don Carter to look into the design of the display cases, and will recommend implementation of the display.


The library is hosting a “Festival of Nations” on September 12, which is the date of our next regular meeting.  It was decided to forgo our meeting on that day so that we can participate in the festival.  Kevin Mote will look into creating a backdrop or large sign for our booth and exhibit.  $250 was appropriated to spend on this sign.  Pete Wilson moved, Jean Murph seconded.  Barbara Lee will be in charge of set-up of the booth with help from the membership, and she will see to it that iced tea is served to festival participants.


Kevin Mote reported that he has completed a large portion of the design of our website.  Officers’ contact information was collected and Kevin will post it to the site.  The Society needs to compile a short history of the Society’s creation, which will be posted, also.


Barbara Lee suggested that we ask Nan Botzau to work on our Collection Policy for accepting donations of items from the public.


Barbara Lee is working on the RIP, a program that benefits historically significant cemeteries in the area.


It was suggested that we ask Joanne Smith to be in charge of our upcoming archeological dig on October 10.   There was discussion, also, about having the dig not only at one of our regular places, but also at the location of our original railroad depot.


There is also an Old Downtown Merchants’ Association Festival on October 10.  It was agreed that the Society will host a booth that will sell Dublin Dr. Pepper, calling it the “Official Drink of Texas.”  Pete Wilson will acquire the drinks and such, and Don Carter will provide a tent.  We will display our usual material.  The backdrop or sign created for the Festival of Nations will also be used.


Don Carter will look into another public presentation of our Historical Society Survey, possibly at our November meeting.  We may invite members of the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Economic Planning Commission.  Jean Murph will help with the project.


The calendar for upcoming activities includes:


September 12 – Festival of Nations beginning at 10:00 a.m. behind city hall.  Bring a folding chair.


October 10 – Archeological dig.  Meet in old downtown first.


October 10 – Old Town Festival


November – Possible public meeting to present our historical survey.



The meeting was adjourned at 8:46 p.m.


Wheelice (Pete) Wilson, Jr.

Secretary, Coppell Historical Society

972-741-3894 (cell)



Back to list of minutes