KEY TO COPPELL MAP 1
Black figures are businesses.
White figures are houses.
1. Woodmen of the World Lodge building, two stories. The ground floor was used as a grocery store, which, by 1920, was operated by Jim Harrison.
2. Large blacksmith shop first operated by W. W. Ratliff, later by Ed Hurst. It burned about 1918 and was replaced by E. J. Bird's grocery store. The grocery store also housed a corn mill.
3. Drug store originally owned by Dr. Jess Bennett, later by Brian and Minnie McGee. By the 1930's, the front porch had been removed to make room for road expansion. The WPA built concrete steps to the front door. The building finally had large plate glass windows and stained glass. It was torn down in the 1950's.
4. Dr. Jess Bennett's office. Later a house was built here by Minnie McGee, which still stands.
5. First State Bank of Coppell, opened in 1909. It was renamed in 1923 Citizens Bank of Coppell. It closed in 1924.
6. W. W. Ratliff general store.
7. Barbershop operated by Floyd and Lloyd Harwell. It burned in 1929.
8. W. O. Harrison dry goods store. Built about 1874, it was probably the first general store and post office in Coppell.
9. Small building used as a store, often vacant.
10. Public water well and watering trough, built by Dallas County and local citizens in 1911. By the mid 1940’s, it was the site of a washeteria.
11. Lumber yard, operated, by 1909, by Tom Moore. By 1928, it was the site of a telephone switchboard office. By 1931, it was the site of Floyd Harwell's second barbershop and house. The front part of the the present house is the original building that was the switchboard office.
12. Originally, a blacksmith shop operated by Ruben Kirby, whose wife is buried in Historic Bethel Cemetery. By 1920, this was the site of Carney's gasoline station and grocery store, probably closed by 1931. By 1950, it was the site of Harwell's third barbershop, which is still standing. The large concrete post still standing on this southeast corner was originally part of the gasoline station.
13. Originally, a blacksmith shop. By 1890, it was the site of the first drug store in Coppell, operated by 3. R. and John Houston Cozby. Its second story was used as a lodge hall for the Odd Fellows and the Farmers' Union. Later, the building was used as a restaurant. By 1920, it was the site of Emmett Gentry's gasoline station and garage. The building was torn down by 1940.
14. House built by John Cozby, facing south.
15. House built by James Trimble Cozby, later owned by C. L. Plumlee. This house was torn down by 1963.
16. Small rock house built by Sam McFall, who also built the adjoining cotton gin.
17. Coppell's second cotton gin, built in 1930 by Sam McFall. The large metal building
was torn down by the mid-
18. Bill Edmondson house, built in 1915, later owned by Ed Hurst. This house still stands.
19. Roberts house, built in 1909. He was the first president of the bank. This house still stands.
20. Dr. Jess Bennett's first house.
21. Dr. E. N. Camp's house. He was the first doctor practicing in Coppell.
22. W. O. Harrison house. He was Coppell's first postmaster. The house burned and
was replaced by Bill Stringfellow's house, which still stands.
23. Bill Corbin house.
24. Tyler Harrison's house, whose widow remarried and was named Maude Standifer. This house was torn down in the early 1960's.
25. Dr. Jess Bennett's second house, later owned by I. E. Coats, a rural mail carrier for Coppell. This house still stands.
26. Oscar Cooper house, built about 1915, later owned by Vert Parrish, a direct descendant of the first settlers in the Coppell area prior to 1848. The house was torn down about 1980.
27. Small rental house.
28. Small rental house. By the late 1950's this was the first site of the Coppell Church of Christ, which was moved to Coppell Road about 1950.
29. John Bennett chicken farm, later operated by Walter Canaughton. Later, it was the site of the John Ledbetter house, which still stands.
30. Small rental house, eventually owned by R. L. McDowell.
31. Frank Sisk house.
32. B. A. Nix house, later owned by Bill Thompson. This house was built before 1900 and was torn down in the early 1980's.
33. Plez Corbin house.
34. Sam Corbin house, built about 1911. This house still stands.
35. Rental houses.
36. John Kirkland house, built in 1904. This house still stands.
37. First Baptist Church, built about 1901. The second building was constructed on the same site in 1948. Later, the building was owned by North Lake Church of Christ. This building still stands.
38. First and second Coppell school buildings. The first building was built before 1900. The second was completed in 1908 and torn down about 1930. Later, the John Arnett house was on this site.
39. H. E. (Red) Stringfellow house, built about 1930 from the lumber salvaged from the old school house nearby. In the front yard, from tanks under trees that are still there, Stringfellow sold minnows for fishing. Later, the house and business were owned by Lockett Woods.
40. W. W. Ratliff house.
41. Shelton house.
42. Originally, a blacksmith shop, probably torn down by 1920. Later, it was the site of the Fate Ratliff house.
43. Coppell Methodist Church, built in 1897 and partially rebuilt in 1935. The building was also used as a school till about 1899. Later, in the 1980's, it was occupied by St. Ann's Catholic Church.
44. Earliest blacksmith shop in Coppell, operated by John Stringfellow. It was probably out of business by 1890.
45. John Stringfellow house, on a dirt road that is now Loch Lane. This house was eventually moved to the south side of present Belt Line Road running to Carrollton, on what is now Texas Power and Light Company property. It was used as a "club house" by Dr. Clifford Saunders until it burned.
46. Rental houses.
47. Rental houses.
48. W. J. Russell house, later owned by Elsworth Parr, and eventually Coppell's first library.
49. T. J. Harrison house.
50. Coppell's first cotton gin, probably built about 1902.
51. Tom Harrison rental house, later moved to Bethel Road.
52. Railroad depot, built 1888, rebuilt about 1930. The second building, in about 1957, was purchased by an individual and moved to another location.
53. Grocery store built by Burl Howell, later the house occupied by Duncan Harrison.
54. Two story section house built for railroad workers.
55. Rental house.
56. John Harrison rental house.
57. Rental houses.
58. Henry Bennett house, later occupied by Duncan Harrison.
59. Elaborate barn owned by Henry Bennett.
60. Rental house, later owned by Webb Roberts. This house still stands.
A. This was the site of Coppell's first temporary movie theatre and a popular location for traveling circuses and local "fairs."
B. Bethel road now extends east to Denton Tap, hence both "Bethel School" and "Bethel" Roads.
C. Southwestern Boulevard, originally Coppell Road, now extends west to Freeport, originally Esters Road.
D. Burns Road, a dirt road running between Coppell Road and Esters Road (now Freeport) shows up on maps from the 1930's. The road disappeared before 1945. It was reconstructed in the 1970's on almost exactly the same location.
E. Park Street, after 1937, provided two entrances to the park built by the WPA in commemoration of Sam Houston's attempts to sign a treaty with Indians in 1843. Before 1937, these were dirt roads leading to the site.
Map and Key from Barbara Lee, 9/14/2002.