Bethel School and Bethel Church
Two identical wood frame buildings were located on this corner: Bethel Freewill
Baptist Church on the right and Bethel School on the left, both buildings facing
east. The one-room buildings were built in the 1890s.
Bethel School served farming families in the area. Some local residents who taught
in the school were Sallie Kirkland Brooks, W.L. Gregory, J. Clyde Drury, and Pleas
Corbin. The building was abandoned in 1928 when three local schools — Bethel, Gentry,
and Coppell — consolidated into one school, now Pinkerton Elementary School.
Bethel Baptist Church remained in use until it burned in 1915. Its presence probably
influenced the naming of the
The Coppell Historical Society
Location: On the west side of Moore Rd. and approximately 100 feet south of Bethel